Kino Satellite is an irregular, itinerant screening series of documentary and experimental work shown in various art spaces, micro cinemas and other venues in and around the city of Berlin. Featuring new discoveries, as well as screenings of works by neglected or seldom-screened makers, Kino Satellite is committed to introducing Berlin to some of the most cutting-edge film work in narrative, documentary, mixed genre storytelling, and other experimental forms, both modern and classical.
Some of our programs have included:
- November 2014: Farewell to Hollywood in collaboration with Nomaden Kino, at Neue Heimat
- October 2014: La bocca del lupo (35mm projection from Arsenal Archive) and The Silence of Pelesjan by Pietro Marcello, in collaboration with Nomaden Kino, , at Villa Neukölln
- October 2014: an evening of AnimaDoc selections from DOK Leipzig in collaboration with Annegret Richter, Head of the Animation Program and filmmaker Jalal Maghout (Syria) in collaboration with Nomaden Kino, at Platoon Kunsthalle
- May 2012: an evening of AnimaDoc selections from DOK Leipzig in collaboration with Annegret Richter, Head of the Animation Program, at Blood Orange East
- February 2012: Cinema Komunisto with filmmaker Mila Turajlic, at Kino Krokodil
- November 2011: Build/Unbuild (Bau/Rückbau) in collaboration with Dr Brigitta Wagner, with artist Reynold Reynolds, at PROGRAM: An Initiative for Art and Architecture Collaborations
- September 2011: Tintin et moi with filmmaker, Anders Østergaard, at Kino Babylon
- August 2011: God’s Land featuring filmmaker Preston Miller (European premiere), at Kino Babylon
- June 2011: Nonfiction Best of the Fests featuring The DeVilles (Denmark) and The World According to Ion B. (Romania, Germany), at Blood Orange East
- March 2011: An evening of work and discussion with Yin-Ju Chen and James T Hong, at Blood Orange East
- 2010: Regular monthly screenings in a specially-built micro-kino for Kino Satellite, at Direktorenhaus (some visiting artists/shows: Ken Jacobs; Canadian video artist, Alison M Kobayashi and Christopher Allen of UnionDocs, New York; Super Art Market + panel with filmmaker Zoran Solomun, curators Rebecca Loyche and Jonathan Gröger of MMX, and artist Tobias Sternberg; an evening of Polish animation in collaboration with Platige Image, Warsaw, and A Million Movies a Minute, Portland, Oregon; Futuristic Cinema Halloween show, featuring a performance by Live Animals, The Shutdown (Scotland) and October Country (US), etc.
Member of Screening Committee and Associate Programmer
2015 – Sound of My Soul, a music program consisting of 5 feature films and 2 shorts programs
2014 – Path to Freedom, an 8-film music program
2013 – Bigger, Stronger, Faster, a 5-film program on sports
2012 – Let England Shake: 12 Short Films, with special guests PJ Harvey and Seamus Murphy; Scream Into a Microphone, an 8-film music program; and, To Hell With My Pride, Tonight I Want to Cry, an 8-film program on teenagers
2010: DocPoint, Helsinki Documentary Film Festival
guest programmer – I put together a group of films about the American family, including October Country, Prodigal Sons, etc.